The Life of a Student (part two)

Sorry for the delay. My internet has been very bad lately. I've been trying to post this for a week. As a result I am going to post two parts today.

Part Two: Standing Tall


Broadly speaking, my students are in class for about six to eight hours between 8 am and 9:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Each class is two 45 minute segments with a ten minute break between. Prior to their 8 am class, most of my students go from bed to the running track for an hour or so of mandatory exercise. Between 7 am and 8 am the lucky majority run off to the cafeteria for breakfast. The standard entree seems to be two round pieces of bread that look similar to English muffins, though larger in size, with a saucy collection of meat and veges in between. In Chinese; “肉夹饼.” I’ve come to know the standard breakfast as the semester has progressed and the morning hours shift to other uses. As a natural result, breakfast is brought to the morning class, which I teach Monday through Thursday at 8 am. I wonder if my students have noticed that my breakfast appears in class more and more often as well?

However, there is also the less fortunate minority; those students who have opted to join the student military unit (for lack of a better translation). These noble students attend twice (or more) daily regiments of military-esque training. In the morning, these students are often kept busy until 7:50 with additional exercise or memorization drills or other things. I’m still not clear on exactly what they’re doing but their afternoon session is right outside of my office. I stare as they stand still in their military uniforms. Lines of 15 students, 5 or 6 deep, stare straight forward. An older, though only slightly, man wanders the isles. He extends one hand and adjusts a soldier’s posture. 

Standing in the doorway to my office building I can’t help but crack a smile. One of my students notices and a smile breaks out across her face. Another two of my students turn their heads and toss me a glance. “Hello, teacher,” their eyes humorously mumble. Walking away from moments like this my heart doesn’t stop smiling. I feel so fortunate to get to see my students, not just as English learners in my own classroom, as characters in my life, but also as character’s in their own life. Those three students breaking form for a moment had the same juiciness that seeing a comedian break character for a moment does. They’re working hard to put on a show of strength, and what they have underneath that is a smile filled with layers of complex emotions.


I’ve had several opportunities to ask why, “why did you choose to join this group?” So far the only response I’ve heard is a desire to be strong. Of the students I’ve discussed this with 100% are female. Usually, other Chinese nationals have told me that women shouldn’t work out because being strong and having muscles is “unattractive,” for a women, that is. Yet, i’ve sat face to face with more than just a few that aspire to be just that—strong women, both in body and spirit. And, regardless of the ideals learned amidst these trainings, it is this group of students that remains the most well behaved in all of my classes. Always alert, listening, and obedient; they are ready for life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dragon Boat Festival

Classroom Art

An Afternoon’s Hello